The CSRD sends out monthly newsletters that include events, articles, editorials, and opinion pieces produced by UT Professors and friends of the Center. These articles discuss issues of race, identity, class, gender, culture and more.
October 15 Newsletter
- Fox News Has a Hard Time Processing the Las Vegas Shooting (The Daily Show)
- Protesting made these athletes patriots (Peniel Joseph)
- Anthem protests not about disrespecting the flag (Hansen Unplugged)
- Genes for skin color rebut dated notions of race, researchers say (New York Times)
- Former NASA engineer Sylvia Acevedo on being the only woman in the room (Latino USA)
- The privilege of white individuality (The Root)
- What CEO activism looks like in the Trump era (IndiaWest)
- How one young black entrepreneur’s company helps empower renters (theGrio)
- Social Media and the Scholar in an Era of Hyper-Nationalism and Fake News (Professional Symposium)
July 15 Newsletter
- First published in 1962, James Baldwin’s thoughts on his nephew’s future – in a country with a terrible history of racism
- A teenage asylum-seeker from South Africa has become a social justice advocate in Maine
- Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar, the nation’s first Somali-American lawmaker, appeared on The Daily Show with Trevor Noah to share her perspective on how to make life better for all Americans
- 5 eye-opening documentaries about human trafficking
- Death threats; mutilated animals; damnation. The victims of online hatred share their experiences.
- Arash Bordbar is a 23 year-old refugee from Iran and an inspiring advocate for refugees’ access to education and employment opportunities.
- An Austin-based writer’s quest to learn his grandfather’s story leads to death row and a little-known series of experiments that involved giving hallucinogens to inmates in the early 1960’s.
- SPLC board member visits America’s ‘huddled masses’ at an immigration detention center.
- A murder shatters the dreams of immigrant tech workers.
- It’s pride. It’s Ramadan. And, it still isn’t easy to be an LBGT Muslim.
- When Black America was pro-police.
June 15 Newsletter
- Michael Eric Dyson and Ice Cube School a Contrite Bill Maher on the N-word
- “There’s something very powerful about a black woman owning the narrative,” says Tony-nominated actress Michelle Wilson
- Support for gay marriage is at an all time high – BUT, are LGBTQ rights safe under Trump?
- Lawyers convention leaves Texas over Stat’s new immigration law
- Rise in hate crimes alarms Native communities
- LeBron James’ master class on race in America
- Commentary: Remembering JFK in the Era of Trump
- A shifting mission at the NAACP
- Sessions’ serious mistake: Attorney General takes us back to failed mass incarceration policies
- Transcript of New Orleans Mayor Landrieu’s address on confederate monuments
April 15 Newsletter
- Peniel Joseph on why the Black Lives Matter movement still matters
- In Georgia how the reaction to a KKK banner is a sign of the times
- Baltimore schools and their attempts to move past segregation
- Pepsi shows how America loves to erase black women
- Brazil’s new problem with blackness
March 15 Newsletter
- “Third Construction Theory” says nation still has progress to make
- The story of a Muslim advisor in Trump’s White House
- The making of a Mexican-American dream
- The making of “Blue Texas” during the civil rights movement
- Jeff Sessions’ Department of Justice
February 15 Newsletter
- Peniel Joseph on the selection of Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court nominee
- Black Lives Matter and Civil Rights Protests in the United States
- Why we need Black History Month now more than ever
- Inside the nation’s first bilingual university
- February – March 2017 events at UT and beyond
January 15 Newsletter
- Peniel Joseph on Obama still offering hope eight years later
- Alison Alter presenting her vision for strong local leadership in Austin
- Victoria DeFrancesco Soto discussing how voting rights can be easily violated.
November 29 Newsletter
- Peniel Joseph on Justin Trudeau’s comments on Fidel Castro’s Death
- Jeremi Suri, Jeffrey Tulis & Sanford Levinson on the Hail Mary to Deny Trump the Election
- Kevin Cokley on the retreat of Multi-Culturalism in the Trump Era
November 15 Newsletter
- Peniel Joseph on why Black Voters Didn’t Fail Hillary Clinton
- Lise Ragbir on how Loving helps us understand Interracial Relationships
- Eddie Chambers on the climate of Anti-intellectualism during the Campaign
November 1 Newsletter
- Peniel Joseph on the Privilege of Protesting While White
- Daina Ramey Berry on the power of artifacts
- Mink Makalani on the costs of Campus Carry